ENGAGE RETREAT: Getting Read – Writing for publication
SPEAKER: DR WENDY NOBLE (APPLIED LINGUIST & DIRECTOR OF NOBLE ACADEMIC WRITING)
DATE/TIME: SATURDAY 29 JULY, 9AM – 4PM
PLACE: ANGLICAN DEACONESS MINISTRIES, LEVEL 1, ST ANDREW'S HOUSE, 464-480 KENT ST, SYDNEY
This workshop is particularly targeting participants who are working on a potentially publishable piece of writing, and will be limited to 20 participants. During this retreat, we will practise the strategies of highly productive writers, discuss challenges to your writing, strategies you have found useful, and also your specific writing goals. The day will consist of writing blocks punctuated by short input sessions and opportunities for small group feedback.
Wendy writes that to make the most of this focused writing space, limit your communication with the outside world (phones off, no Internet). Please bring:
- two journal articles in your research area, from the journal you are targeting, OR two model texts in the genre you plan to emulate,
- a hard copy of a draft article you are currently writing (no matter how rudimentary),
- a pen and paper (plus laptops with extension leads if you like)
- a sense of humour!
Dr Wendy Noble is an applied linguist and director of Noble Academic Writing. She has extensive experience in developing researchers across disciplines to communicate effectively through her consulting work in universities all over Australia, in Asia and Canada. Wendy has pioneered and taught in doctoral communication programs at the Crawford Policy School, The Australian National University (2010 - 2012), and in the Faculty of Business, Macquarie University (2006-2009). Her experience in teaching genre analysis applied to specific writing contexts has resulted in successful national (ARC Discovery & Linkage), and international research grants for many researchers, and on-time completions for a great number of PhD candidates across a range of disciplines. Wendy’s thesis explored ways to develop argumentation in academic writing. She has technical writing experience as a writing consultant to the pharmaceutical industry, and has published in the areas of cross cultural communication, discourse and corpus analysis, and the role of academic writing advisors in doctoral programs. www.nobleacademicwriting.com
Booklet and a catered lunch is provided. This Engage Retreat will be held at ADM’s Sydney offices. Limited spots, RSVP essential.
Engage is about bringing together and raising up Christian women for public engagement.
• Engage with like-minded Christian women
• Engage with professional development for more effective and imaginative public engagement
• Engage with ideas from leading Christian thinkers, creatives and professionals
• Engage into a space for deep theological reflection, robust discussion and genuine community